[Discuss] How do I check cpu compatibility?

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 03:01:48 EDT 2023

In the Rocky Linux Release 9.0 release notes, there's a warning to Please
Check CPU Compatibility, but all it says about Intel CPUs is "AMD and Intel
64-bit architectures (x86-64-v2)"

Last year I tried installing a Rocky Linux 9 VM, and it failed completely.
I eventually discovered that Rocky Linux 9 no longer supports x86-64, but
requires x86-64-c2, which I was previously unaware existed.

I was checking server prices on ebay this evening, and I found something
nice that has an Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2 cpu, but I'm having no luck finding
a way to determine if this cpu is "x86-64-v2" as opposed to just "x86-64".

I figure Intel  uses terminology other than "x86-64-v2", but I have no idea
what their terminology is. None of my google searches have found anything
helpful.

How can I determine whether a given cpu type is "x86-64-v2" compatible?

Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6