[Discuss] Debian Question

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat Nov 18 15:05:43 EST 2023

On 11/5/23 11:45, Kent Borg wrote:
> Thanks to CHRISTOP-PERRAULT at comcast.net, dsr at randomstring.org, and
> richard.pieri at gmail.com. VERY valuable answers.
>
> But I'm holding off on implementing any of that, for the moment, until
> I better understand what packages get updated when. Don't want to
> block/freeze that wrong stuff.
>
> But I have updated my notes for when I am ready.

So recently a new Raspbian kernel came out, to make circumstances ripe
for playing with preventing apt-get from upgrading my kernel.

I created the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/kernel exactly as Rich
suggested, and that seems to work.

As for finding out when I should build a new kernel there was the
question of how to tell me when a new kernel should be built. At the
moment I have a decent habit of manually running apt-get pretty
frequently, so I decided to add another manual step:

   cd ~/pi-linux
   git fetch --tags

And see whether there is a new stable tab from which to build. (The fact
that I don't currently have the ability to send e-mail from that machine
did enter in…)

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who did a new kernel build early this week, it worked, it
came back from a reboot, etc.//