[Discuss] new laptop, new problems

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Sat May 27 14:22:09 EDT 2023

greg galperin writes:
> On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 10:37:13AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>> 1. how do i keep it from automatically going into suspend after 15 min?

>I googled your popup message.  suggestions were:
> 1) "Gnome Settings â†' Power" and change the "Automatic Suspend" behavior
>    ...there's also a command-line interface:
>       gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'
>       gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-type 'nothing'
>    (some people also set sleep-inactive-ac-timeout and
>     sleep-inactive-battery-timeout to 0, but that seems unnecessary if you
>     set the -type vars to do 'nothing' upon timeout)
>
> 2) you can get a widget for your gnome desktop which prevents sleep.  two
>    mentioned were:
>       https://codeberg.org/WhyNotHugo/caffeine-ng
>       https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1097/keep-awake/

> all of this appears to be for gnome.  I know you specified it's an hp
> laptop, but I don't think you've said what window mgr or distro you're
> unning?  but these were the initial hits google found, so hopefully
> hat'll help.

yup, running fc38/gnome.  changing the settings under
"power" did indeed fix the problem, thank you.  i googled
for waking up from suspend for hp laptops, and found nothing
relevant, just same old, same old, but since it no longer
goes into suspend, i guess that's ok.

thanks all for the help,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan