[Discuss] SanDisk Extreme SSDs keep abruptly failing—firmware fix for only some promised | Ars Technica

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu May 25 17:08:57 EDT 2023

On 5/25/23 12:15, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Buy an
> internal drive with known good capabilities and pair it with a cheap
> ($10-$15)
> dollar external case.   You can even get m.2 NVME to USB external
> cases pretty cheaply.

You convinced me. I just ordered an M.2 SSD and I hope a matching USB-C
external case, for backups of my laptop. I was cheap and only got a 2TB
SSD (cheap!), but my laptop only has a 1/2-TB drive in it, so though I
would like to have more room for incremental backups, I suspect I'll
survive.

As much as I am suspicious of SSDs I suspect it will be more reliable
than these damn WD drives that keep failing.

Thanks for the advice.

-kb