[Discuss] SanDisk Extreme SSDs keep abruptly failing—firmware fix for only some promised | Ars Technica

Edward epp at null.net
Thu May 25 16:08:01 EDT 2023

I've been testing (?) two external SSD's, one is a Samsung T7 500GB, the other is an 'onn' (Walmart's electronics house brand) 250GB and the trouble I've been having, is just getting Linux installed to them, without ending up with a grub rescue> prompt referencing 'normal.mod not found'.

The host desktops are older, BIOS systems with USB 2.0 ports in front and am wondering whether the installers are actually thinking they're installing to UEFI systems instead. Within the past week, I tried seven different distros (both big and small) and managed to get Debian Bullseye (11) installed on the Samsung and Fedora Rawhide (currently the development branch for Fedora 39) on the 'onn'.

Fedora mostly does not boot with the 'git' kernels currently supplied, but it boots fine with the only non-git kernel. The git kernels feature video corruption at the bottom of the screen, with kernel-core and kwin_wayland crash reports ready to submit, if I reboot with the non-git kernel. KDE desktop.

Strangely, I could not get Kubuntu installed to either SSD due to the same 'normal.mod not found' issue, but it successfully installed to a SanDisk Cruzer Glide thumb drive and runs from it.

The Samsung has a blue LED on it which blinks when there is activity and is solid blue when there is none. After a typical Linux installation finished and the screen directs to reboot into the new system, the LED on the Samsung continued to blink for as much as 20 minutes after. I know there is a speed difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0, but 20 minutes seems like a lot. The only installation where its LED stopped blinking immediately after the installer finished, was Debian.

The install method:

	/ as the mount point, with the 'boot' flag set, using the btrfs file system.