[Discuss] Linux Kernel Building

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Fri May 19 09:15:28 EDT 2023

On Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34:44 -0700
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> Well, guess what: Once I quit Chromium, my 8GB machine has *plenty*
> of RAM for kernel compiles. On a "-j8" make 46% of my RAM gets to be

Not surprising. Modern graphical web browsers are effectively entire
operating system unto themselves.

One thing to investigate is disabling CPU turbo boost. "Why are you
telling me to slow down the CPU?" you ask. Because CPU turbo is a race
to idle mechanism: burst performance and then get power consumption as
low as possible as fast as possible. If the CPU can't go idle during
the boost period then it starts getting hot and the thermal system
kicks in and throttles it hard. Disabling CPU turbo usually provides
better medium and long-term sustained performance.

--