[Discuss] Failing WD Disks

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:42:31 EDT 2023

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 4:20 PM Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2023 15:21:29 -0400
> Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Faster random may be less random ?
> Hoo, boy. Time to post this link again:
> https://www.2uo.de/myths-about-urandom/

That *may* help someone who misunderstands me
and perhaps thinks i meant any contradiction to anything on that page.
(Which AFAIK may be just Rich, who ALWAYS assumes IF he doesn't understand
someone that they're WRONG and need correction.)

My concern was *since* *his* /dev/urandom reportedly got *faster*, does
that mean someone *improved* it (safely!), or *broke* it (aka ^*improved*^
it, badly)?

If it were my system, i'd want to be looking at the change notes to see if
it was intentional, and if so what cryptographer approved the patches to
urandom that made it faster.