[Discuss] Failing WD Disks

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu May 18 12:35:14 EDT 2023

I have two portable USB-C 5TB Western Digital portable disks that have
failed, that I will be doing a warranty return on.

Before I can do the return I need to argue that they are broken, and as
I do encrypted file systems, and on Linux, and not even conventional at
that (one is ZFS, the other brtfs), I can't just say "Look, it can't
read files." So overnight I left this running:

   root at tinpan:/home/kentborg# date ; dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=60M
status=progress
   Wed 17 May 2023 02:44:09 PM PDT
   2450528763904 bytes (2.5 TB, 2.2 TiB) copied, 14740 s, 166 MB/s
   dd: error reading '/dev/sda': Input/output error
   38950+1 records in
   38950+1 records out
   2450528763904 bytes (2.5 TB, 2.2 TiB) copied, 14743.8 s, 166 MB/s

With unrecoverable media errors in /var/log/kern.log.

Now I have started the same on the other disk, expecting the same, some
hours into the future.

Man, these disks are big. Even at (what to me seems) a crazy fast IO
rate, it takes a long time to traverse the disk.

Lessons:

- Spinning media can have problems.

- Portable 5TB WD drives are maybe too bleeding edge.

- Even if it seems to take forever, next time I set up one of these
disks I am going to first dd it full of random data. It will be a test
of the disk, and makes the encrypted disk more secure.

Grrr.

-kb, the Kent who gets nervous when one of his two ping-pong backup
disks fails, and a few months later another one fails.

P.S. At least /dev/urandom, at least on my current machine, is a lot
faster than it used to be.