[Discuss] Debian 12 vs. WSL 1

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 20:16:22 EDT 2023

On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 19:37:26 -0400
grg <grg-webvisible+blu at ai.mit.edu> wrote:

> even if only one is used at a time, the system still has two paths to
> the resource (which I'd argue is twice as many as a clean design
> ought to have...)

An argument that I would agree with in principle, but you have to walk
and merge /bin and /usr/bin before you can run and remove one of them,
assuming you don't want to break roughly half of all the software out
there.

> but unfortunately there's only one copy - usrmerge has made sure
> you've lost any data redundancy you might have had.  so all you're
> left with is the bloat.

One LUN, many paths to it, that's redundancy, not bloat.
One program, many paths to it, that's redundancy, not bloat.

> I thought the "merged-usr-via-aliased-dirs" solution which won the
> usrmerge battle explicitly calls for the /bin, /lib, etc. symlinks to
> exist?

Because the purpose of UsrMerge isn't the elimination of /bin and
friends but the elimination of differences between split bin and
friends. The redundancy provided by these symlinks will eventually be
seen as superfluous. Then a call will be made to remove them from
future standards.

--