[Discuss] External M.2 SSD

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Jun 1 12:48:50 EDT 2023

So I bought a Sabrent USB-C enclosure, and a 2048GB Intel M.2 SSD to go
inside (amazingly cheap, if you ask me).

Per my earlier vow, before using it I am filling it with random data.
(To make the encrypted result a little more secure, but really just to
make sure it works.) So far it is only going at ~250 MB/s, but I have
other stuff going on at the same time (a dedup pass over a card in my
micro SD slot, and am rsync link-dest backup to a spinning media disk
connected to a different USB-C jack).

Half a TB in... and it is getting hot! No, not (yet) hot enough to burn
me. Just so long as I don't hold it too tight for too long. I can see
why they made it an aluminum enclosure and not plastic.

It finished, dd reported the speed got as high as 262MB/s, but then it
fell, I was pleased to see that, I am assuming it was temperature
throttled, because by then it was *very* hot, it needed to control that.
Maybe it could handle that temperature, but it was dangerous to touch at
that point.

I then did my rsync-based backup, it seemed to work. I unmounted it,
unplugged it, plugged it in again, entered the passphrase again, and did
another (mostly no-op this time) backup and it took roughly 10-minutes,
which is about a third of what spinning media does in that case.

Why so long to do mostly nothing? I have a new directory, with the
complete directory structure for my computer. Overwhelmingly hardlinks
to existing files, but that still takes time to figure out and write.

The fact the second backup completed without complaint indicates the
first data could be read, I conclude the new device works.

I think I am going to like this, nice that it is so small, thanks to
whomever suggested it.

-kb