[Discuss] Program path maintenance and security (was Re: Debian 12 vs. WSL 1)

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 10:48:51 EDT 2023

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023, 09:00 <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:

> I kind of want to weigh in on a "meta" of this argument.

You had me at meta :-)

PATH is interesting but incomplete. . . .

If you use "rbash" the restricted version, PATH
> is read-only and a user can not use absolute paths.

✔️

There are, as always, vulnerabilities every now and then

✔️

Lately I have become a big fan of the dreaded SELINUX system.

Having been adjacent to the precursors (MITRE CMW), this cheers me.

If you
> really want security, learn and enable SELINUX. Its a PITA, but it can
> really help security in that all access is explicit.

SELINUX, AppArmor, and apparently grsecurity are good choices for different
needs. (I just became aware of the third choice. Hoping not to dig into it,
but ebay time i think I'm fine with security it drags me back.)