[Discuss] Network Solutions E-Mail

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 18 22:27:20 EST 2023

discuss-request at driftwood.blu.org writes:
> But it does not look like a phishing attempt.

> And the link:
>
> > https://click.eml.networksolutions.com/?qs=a79ea908ba756644944c77954b7c519e6202a05b560957472caa0d6196484382a0dc890bbe537c13b235d31f8678930c26a1e168cff63e9a
>
> Looks legit. But I still am not going to start volunteering other
> credentials at them.

Given that the mail seems to have been sent from NetSol and the link is
to a NetSol domain name (I just verified that all of its characters are
ASCII), the odds are high that it's legit.  I would put the link into a
private window and see what comes up.

The phishing warnings sent to the general public seem to assume that
horrible things can happen to your computer by simply fetching a URL.  I
assume that the people who build browsers are intelligent and have a
zero-trust attitude toward the retrieved data and are careful to
firewall the browser and computer from malicious data.  Is that true in
practice?

Dale