[Discuss] Some very quietly announced Ubuntu news regarding Snap packages.

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:06:28 EST 2023

I learned this week that Canonical are forcing Snap packages on
everyone with Ubuntu 23.10. This apparently is how Canonical are
letting users know about their new Snap store.

https://www.webpronews.com/ubuntu-23-10s-app-store-will-block-deb-files-when-a-snap-is-available/

Choice quote from Canonical: "Deb support will land later because
resources are always tight. Finally nothing here stops users from
installing applications the old fashioned ways."

The "old fashioned way" of running "apt update; apt upgrade"? I can say
that after running "apt autoremove --purge snapd; apt-mark hold snapd;
reboot", running "apt update; apt upgrade" reinstalls snapd and I get
Snap packages instead of Debian packages.

At least we're *finally* getting the ability to permanently block Snap
automatic updates.

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2022/11/turn-off-automatic-updates-snap-apps/

Tumbleweed is looking better every day.

--