[Discuss] Software Updating Program Called "software"?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sun Apr 30 16:24:47 EDT 2023

On 4/30/23 13:14, Edward wrote:
> https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000126687/micron-2200s-pcie-nvme-ssds-exhibit-intermittent-bsod-and-drive-detection-errors
>

> Looks like an update from Dell. Linux info is towards the bottom of
> the page referencing the same information and where to obtain the update.

That makes sense, but where did this program called "software" suddenly
come from? And how does it know how to find this firmware but apt-get
does not?

-kb

P.S. I am getting over being pissed that this XPS-13 can't reliably boot
from a USB thumb drive nor micro SD card. I run a fully encrypted disk,
except the boot volume can't be encrypted. So I had the pedantic notion
of booting off media that I can guard more closely than I can the whole
laptop. Anyway, this update is frustratingly similar yet distinct from
my problem. It fixes the boot ROM not finding specific models of NVMe
SSD, which isn't going to fix not reliably finding removable media of
any sort. Grrr.