[Discuss] Any decent video editors?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:55:55 EDT 2023

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:44:36 -0400
Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> wrote:

> I've just tried 3 different Linux video editors to accomplish a simple
> task, removing a few segments from an MP4 file. All three programs
> failed spectacularly. Any recommendations for a reliable program?

mp4 is a container, not a video codec. So right off your task may not
be as simple as it initially appears. Depends on what kind of video and
audio is in there. If for example the video is H.264 or H.265 tuned for
streaming then you can't get time-perfect cuts out of the box. Best
case you can directly convert to something intended to be edited (ie,
what a video camera might record) and work with that. Worst case you'll
have to demux all of your media streams, convert each to an appropriate
editable format, and then mux everything, and hope that they all stay
in sync.

Or, you can learn to use AviSynth+ which can automate all of the
demuxing, conversions, cutting and joining, and muxing.

--