[Discuss] time-warp

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Tue Apr 18 01:29:08 EDT 2023

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 3:12 PM Dale R. Worley <worley at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Currently, I've been running time-warp since Feb 2013, just over 10
> years ago.  Theoretically it should have 5,600 commits; in reality, it
> has 2,800.  Presumably the difference is because I haven't changed
> files every minute for the past 10 years.  The archive is now 3.4 GiB.
> I burn a copy of the archive to DVD-ROM each week.

That's interesting and reminds me a little of the etckeeper software
which I've used to keep track of system configuration on systems when
setting up a configuration management system isn't worth the effort.

A few questions though:

1. How does the archive size compare to the 'source' directory?

2. Do you ever run 'git gc'?  (I would expect that to possibly reduce the size
of the archive.)

3. I keep things like computer standards documents (only 4.5 Gig :-),
photos/videos of
friends and family, ebooks, as well as git trees of software that interest me
underneath my home directory.  If you have anything like that, you
clearly aren't
fitting that into 3.4Gig.  Any thoughts on how you would handle stuff like that?

> I can send you a copy of the scripts if you want to use time-warp.

In any case, I would still be interested in seeing a copy of the scripts.

Bill Bogstad