[Discuss] IDE for GNU Makefile auto-tools

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 25 20:08:15 EDT 2022

> From: Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com>
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:23:11 -0400 markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> I'd like an IDE that can run make, parse the compiler output, find the
>> errors, and open the source file at the location of the error?
>
> GNU Emacs has been able to do this for literally decades. Bonus:
> gdb-mode.

I was going to say that the Emacs "compile" and "next-error" commands do
a lot of that.  And as Rich says, "gdb-mode" and its commands will show
you the source code wherever GDB stops.

The downside is that you're likely to have to configure some regexps to
make the commands work with all the tools you use.  The upside is that
you *can* configure some regexps to make the commands work with all the
tools you use.

Dale