[Discuss] memory stick issue

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:08:52 EDT 2022

The problem with removable devices is that you need to unmount then before
you remove them, and you can't reliably format a mounted device. And, Dan
Ritters advice is good. Brand name USB SSD drives are pretty reliable, but
there are a lot of scams out there. Dick Miller was pointing out a number
of bogus 32TB ssd drives sold at Walmart. Personally, I would not buy any
computer related stuff at Walmart. Samsung, SanDisk, and Crucial are good
brands. I've been using a samsung 1TB USB drive for my dashcam for the last
year.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:50 PM Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> dan moylan wrote:
> >
> > dan moylan once wrote:
> > > running fc36 on lenevo thinkpad T460
> > moylan BCKUP1n[1089] touch foo
> > touch: cannot touch 'foo': Read-only file system
> > moylan BCKUP1n[1090] ls -l
> > total 20K
> > drwxr-xr-x. 3 moylan moylan 4.0K 220910:1532 backintime/
> > drwx------. 2 root   root    16K 220910:1525 lost+found/
> > moylan BCKUP1n[1091] ls -l ../
> > total 4.0K
> > lrwxrwxrwx. 1 moylan moylan    8 220911:1756 BCKUP1 -> BCKUP1n//
> > drwxr-xr-x. 4 moylan moylan 4.0K 220910:1532 BCKUP1n/
> > moylan BCKUP1n[1092] ls -l ../../
> > total 0
> > drwxr-x---+ 3 moylan moylan 80 220911:1756 moylan/
> >
> > backintime started out ok, but then got hung up.
>
> Read dmesg/syslog reports. Odds are good the memory stick has
> had many errors and been switched to read-only.
>
> Buy a new one.
>
> -dsr-

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7