[Discuss] Music Server/Player

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sun Oct 30 19:35:22 EDT 2022

Rich Pieri wrote:
> Years ago I used a little Python-based media server called Edna to
> stream MP3 files to web browsers (essentially anything that could do
> http). Edna handled the http service, presented music directories, and
> let the browser do all the playback.
>
> Edna hasn't been updated in going on 20 years and everything "simple"
> that I've been able to find is either a full-blown home theater setup
> (which I don't need) or is DLNA (which is all dedicated applications
> and devices, not web browsers).
>
> Does anything like Edna still exist? I just need something that can
> play music in a browser tab, ideally with shuffle/random playback.

I really like Owntone, a descendant of daapd.

It can play and be controlled on anything with a reasonable web
browser; it also knows how to play to varying speaker systems.
It presents directory views on demand (my preferred view,
most of the time) but also builds an index of artists, albums,
and titles.

https://github.com/owntone/owntone-server

Debian has slightly old packages; it builds easily, too.

-dsr-