[Discuss] Credit Card Capture From Inside My Wallet: This stops now

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:58:28 EDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 3:34 PM Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> In order
> for a Faraday cage to work it needs to fully enclose the object. No
> wallet that permits access to the contents will do this. In other
> words, if the auto shop's RFID system really did read your AMEX card,
> no Faraday wallet would have stopped it when you opened it to get your

Correct, if it's a steel wallet holding all the cards in a single cage.

> One is to have Visa and AMEX issue you new cards that do not have RFID
> chips in them. No RFID means they can't be read at any distance.

That's why he asked about SLEEVES, one per card.
(Or at most 2, back to back, only take out one)

Sleeves may not be a perfect cage, not having a TEMPEST grade closure, but
even a poor Faraday cage may add just enough dB attenuation that the
extreme range RFID/NearField/whatever doesn't pick up the card in the
sleeve in the wallet.

Another option besides asking AMEX for a non RFID/NC card is asking AMEX to
decline RFID charges, IDK if that is possible but something to consider and
if enough of us ask, maybe they'll let us put a 2 Latté limit on RFID
purchases or something.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com