[Discuss] connection issue

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Sun Nov 20 11:36:15 EST 2022

On 11/19/22 22:18, dan moylan wrote:
> dan ritter writes:
>> dan moylan wrote:
>>> the problems keep mounting and puzzling (moan).  computers
>>> alphacent, aldeberan (both fc36) and rigel (fc27) all show
>>> as connected on the local t-mobile wireless app, and locally
>>> with ifconfig.  route shows 192.168.12.0 gateway on all
>>> three.  they can all ping blu.org successfully, but not each
>>> other, nor can they ssh into each other.  iirc everything was
>>> fine a few days ago.  what have i done?  what's going on?
>> Do they have DHCP assigned IP addresses or static?
> dchp, but they're pretty static from day to day. i.e. the
> dchp assigned addresses haven't changed since they were
> first assigned weeks ago.  (and everything worked as
> expected then).

<local t-mobile wireless app>
So does this mean you are using your cell phone as a hotspot
connection or does t-mobile provide cable service in
Brookline and this is through a cable router? In either case
I would not bank on the same ip's being assigned to each
machine on a consistent basis week to week, though if the
router is on 24/7 and the clients are too then it can be
consistent. On a router you can assign static ip's for local
machines in the dhcp configuration but on a phone I do not
believe that is possible. When you turn off hotspot and then
on again the addresses may change depending on the order
each client connects to it.