[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Fri Nov 18 09:21:50 EST 2022

Hi all,

The discussion about filesystems got me thinking about whether or not
it's worth trying to reduce SSD wear on my first system (laptop) to have
one. It occurred to me that file cloning seems like it could save a few
writes...

I've heard that some SSDs wear out pretty quickly, but I'm not sure if
that's real or just rumor and innuendo.

Anyone have thoughts on whether it's worth trying to reduce wear on the
drive? If so, what kind of changes could I make to my system?

I've installed Ubuntu, which I've been happy with as I'm not much of a
sysadmin; I know it's resource heavy but I seem to be fine with 16gigs
of ram.

It's dual boot, but I haven't used windows except when I first got it to
test; I'll wipe windows if I ever run low on space.

Thanks,

Dan