[Discuss] rsync issue

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Nov 3 23:33:41 EDT 2022

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 09:57:06AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
> > jerry feldman writes:
> > Use the ash command to test. Make sure all your keys are in authorized
> > keys. Ssh has a debug level where you can see the fail
> > ssh -v
> > You can use up to 3 letters v.
> > ssh -vvv
>
> there is no problem with ssh -- alphacent and aldeberon both
> ssh into 50.87.218.82 with no issues, passwordless.

How does it actually fail?  I don't believe I saw that described
anywhere...  But this seems to indicate it's not an authentication
problem.  What error, if any, are you getting when it fails?

> i'm still puzzled by the curious fact that the downsync
> script shown in the original post works passwordless on
> aldeberon, but not in an aldeberon window on alphacent. nor
> does it work in an alphacent window on aldeberon.  that
> should offer a clue to someone more knowledgeable than i.

I suspect these are two different problems.  The latter is, I think,
more likely that you are not forwarding your SSH agent in your SSH
session.  Try ssh -A to explicitly ask for the agent to be forwarded.
The server may not be configured to allow agent forwarding in which
case I believe the client will inform you so.  The former problem
isn't likely related since you're presumably running the script where
the agent is running...

I would look in the system logs for messages from sshd that explain
what happens... which log file likely depends on what distro and the
type of failure--authentication-related logs may be in one place where
others might be elsewhere.

I might also suggest env |egrep -i 'rsync|ssh' to see if there are any
rsync-related or ssh-related environment variables that have weird
values.  Of the possibilities, I would most strongly suspect
RSYNC_RSH, but who knows?

A last odd possibility that comes to mind is that once upon a time, I
was trying to ditch the gnome keyring's ssh-agent in favor of the
OpenSSH agent, but found that both were running and different programs
disagreed about which socket to use for ssh auth.  I think that one's
pretty unlikely, but it could be possible...

-=-=-=-=-