[Discuss] Seeking opinions on drive partitioning

E. William Horne malassimilation at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 01:52:06 EDT 2022

Benjamin, thanks for the info. I'd appreciate a little extra info, so
please fill me in on a couple of items:

On 6/17/2022 10:24 PM, Benjamin Kallus wrote:
> 256 MB EFI partition, 128 GB rootfs, a little swap, and the rest as a home partition. Never used to use a dedicated home partition, but now that I've started I'm not going back.

What partition type number is used for EFI? The fdisk list on my Ubuntu
machine shows "ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/" - is that the one?

Do you favor formatting with a Master Boot Record, or UUID? What's the
advantage of UUID?

The machine I'll use tops out at 4GB Ram, so I assume the swap partition
would be set at the traditional 2X RAM, or 8 GB: do you recommend more?
Less?

What are the advantages of a separate home partition?

Do you recommend EXT4 for the / and /home directories?

Again, my thanks.

Bill