[Discuss] html issue

epp at null.net epp at null.net
Sun Jun 5 13:58:07 EDT 2022

On 6/5/22 13:34, Laura Conrad wrote:
>      John> Just noticed this uread thread in my inbox.
>      John> The issue is firefox, and I imagine, other web browsers, won't follow
>      John> file:// urls from a web page; such urls work when entered directly at the
>      John> address bar, but be ignored when placed within an html document. I believe
>      John> it's a security measure intended to thwart cross-site scripting attacks.
>
> This is probably a different html issue from the one I've been dealing
> with.  But I'll describe my problem and solution in case it  helps
> someone else.
>
> When I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04LTS, firefox stopped displaying emails
> from emacs.  Emacs wrote a file like /tmp/<filename>, and firefox
> couldn't access it.
>
> It turns out that 22.04 installs firefox from a snap, and snap programs
> can't access /tmp files. (They claim to be able to access files in
> /home, but I wasn't able to verify that.)

This was a problem I had when I tried Lubuntu. LibreOffice (at least the
Ubuntu-supplied .deb package) uses Firefox to display its help files.
Firefox via the .deb package retrieved the help files without issue. The
Firefox snap, couldn't, displaying a 404 error in the browser. The bug
report filed on this (eight months ago and since confirmed), remains
unresolved. I eventually gave up on Lubuntu.