[Discuss] html issue

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Sun Jun 5 13:34:23 EDT 2022

    John> Just noticed this uread thread in my inbox.
    John> The issue is firefox, and I imagine, other web browsers, won't follow
    John> file:// urls from a web page; such urls work when entered directly at the
    John> address bar, but be ignored when placed within an html document. I believe
    John> it's a security measure intended to thwart cross-site scripting attacks.

This is probably a different html issue from the one I've been dealing
with.  But I'll describe my problem and solution in case it  helps
someone else.

When I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04LTS, firefox stopped displaying emails
from emacs.  Emacs wrote a file like /tmp/<filename>, and firefox
couldn't access it.

It turns out that 22.04 installs firefox from a snap, and snap programs
can't access /tmp files. (They claim to be able to access files in
/home, but I wasn't able to verify that.)

The solution I'm using is the one described here:
<https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/04/how-to-install-firefox-deb-apt-ubuntu-22-04>.

I had done something like  this a few weeks ago, and when I sat down at
the computer this morning, after updating software without thinking, I
was back not being able to access the /tmp files.  This version does
some  pinning and adding instructions to unattended upgrades, that I
don't remember doing before, so maybe it won't "upgrade" me again.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Copyright law has abandoned its reason for being: to encourage
learning and the creation of new works. Instead, its principal
functions now are to preserve existing failed business models, to
suppress new business models and technologies, and to obtain, if
possible, enormous windfall profits from activity that not only causes
no harm, but which is beneficial to copyright owners.

William Patry, in his farewell post on "The Patry Copyright Blog".