[Discuss] ZFS on Raspberry Pi?

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Fri Jul 29 13:41:40 EDT 2022

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:29:24 -0400
> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>
>> You can't make a general argument about a specific example. I have an
>> 8 core AMD FX with 16G ram. It isn't running ZFS, but it is running
>> an MD RAID5 with 5 4T SCI disks.
>
> I didn't. I made an example of something that could reasonably be found
> lying around. If you have something larger then you can scale more
> easily. YMMV.
>

>> The problem of redundancy is kind of a non-sequiteur for a discussion
>> of VMs. Anything you can do with hardware you can do with a VM, I
>> don't understand why you think it introduces any new difficulty to
>> the problem. The VM makes a server just another application.
>
> This is factually incorrect. Two examples:
>
> A service running in a VM is vulnerable to SPECTRE-style hardware
> attacks launched from other VMs on the same host. A service running on
> a discrete machine cannot be attacked this way.

That is simply not true. The VMs have affinity for the CPUs they are on,
and to my knowledge linux won't give the hyperthread CPU to another VM
because it is bad for performance.

> An application running in a VM does not have full direct access to
> attached peripherals such as temperature sensors and X10 controllers
> (it has to go through the hypervisor). The same application running on
> discrete hardware does (at least can) have this access.

When you say X10, are you talking about home automation? If so, then yes,
these work in a VM you pass through USB devices and/or RS232 and/or
parallel.

If its on USB or PCI, you can map it into the VM.

> I'm not assuming any "additional" difficulty. I am pushing back at your
> assertion that virtualization is the perfect solution to every problem.
> It isn't.

No one ever said "perfect solution to every problem." I do remember
writing this:

"I've really changed my mindset. I can't imagine exposing an IP that
*ISN'T* a VM. I can't imaging developing a non-trivial software project
without a well defined VM."

Which I still stand by.