[Discuss] ZFS on Raspberry Pi?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Jul 28 15:24:42 EDT 2022

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> I know this is a little bit off topic, but why would you set up a machine
> to be a server? Nobody does that any more.

1. I want to own my own data. Sometimes the government decides
   to raid a data center and impound the machines that hold the
   evidence. In a cloud environment, I don't know whether that's
   the same machine I'm on or the one below it in the rack or
   what.

2. When something goes down, I can assign the priority I place
   on getting it back up. I will never be big enough for anyone
   at Amazon to say "let's get Dan's service up first!".

3. If you size your service properly and have some reasonable
   forecasting of growth, owning it yourself can be cheaper.

4. LAN speeds are still faster than WAN speeds, and more
   consistent.

5. If I have to have hardware for some other reason, I might as
   well have it do as much as possible. I can't hook up a mouse
   and keyboard and monitor to the router. (Well, I can,
   actually, but most people can't.)

6. Ease of troubleshooting. If I can't play the music from the
   media fileserver on the laptop feeding the living room
   stereo, I can debug that. If a Chromecast box stops feeding
   music from the cloud, I can try poking the power switches and
   grunting like a caveman.

-dsr-