[Discuss] ZFS on Raspberry Pi?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Jul 28 13:23:28 EDT 2022

Kent Borg wrote:
> On 7/28/22 09:40, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > I see no reason why it wouldn't work for other things, but I
> > would have to ask why you would want to do that.
>
> Very likely silliness.
>
> Or, maybe not. Small, quiet. The Raspberry Pi 4 is decently powerful. For a
> low volume e-mail server, more than sufficient.

That's where consolidation comes in. If you have a low-volume
email server, and a low-volume web server, and a chat service,
and a NextCloud service, and media storage... well, they can all
go on one medium sized machine instead of five Pis.

> And in the last few days I started hearing funny noises, quiet, only
> occasional; I thought they were coming from outside. Today I realize they
> are coming from that machine. A bearing is going to give up soon.

Fans are cheap and easy to replace, and power supplies are easy
to replace. Get ahead of the problem.

-dsr-