[Discuss] ZFS on Raspberry Pi?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:54:52 EDT 2022

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:16:45 -0700
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> Anyone here played with ZFS on a Raspberry Pi?
>
> It seems it should "just work" (providing one has enough RAM), but
> when I do a web search I see people talking about difficulties.

The big reason not to use ZFS on a Pi is SD-Card. If you don't get your
ashift absolutely correct for the specific SD-Card you have then the
already low performance is going to plummet to unusability and you will
wear out the card very quickly. Get the ashift right, and limit the ARC
size, and you should be good, for some value of "good".

--