[Discuss] ZFS for an Encrypted External Disk: My Experience and Notes

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Jul 26 22:33:02 EDT 2022

On 7/26/22 15:12, Rich Pieri wrote:

> If you are getting ~100MB/s sustained then that is about as fast as
> you can go on spinning disks regardless of the bus.

Before I threw in the complication of copies=2, I think was writing
something in the 90s MBs/s. Which I thought was very nice. For $130 (?)
little 5TB thing, I'm pleased.

Doing a read from one part of the disk and then write to two different
spaced parts, of the same disk, for thousands of files, that's a lot of
head movement, it takes time. I accept that. Not something I'll being
doing lots of, so not a problem.

-kb