[Discuss] External USB bridge to SSD

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:57:37 EST 2022

On Sun, 04 Dec 2022 16:16:47 -0500
"Dale R. Worley" <worley at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I've been trying to get "trim" to work on an SSD attached to my
> computer with an external USB bridge.  The manufacturer's spec sheet
> says the SSD supports trim.  (It also claims a lifetime of 360 times
> the disk capacity as the write volume.)  I've used various tricks to
> get the kernel and LVM to consider that trim is available.

USB Mass Storage does not provide for TRIM/UNMAP. You need a USB
adapter that specifically implements USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP)
*and* the host needs to recognize the device as a UASP device.

Run the command "lsusb -t" and look at the Driver part. If it doesn't
say "uas" then it's not UASP and you can't TRIM the device.

--