[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

Daniel M Gessel daniel at syntheticblue.com
Fri Dec 2 17:18:13 EST 2022

TL/DR: Thanks for feedback so far - there's been a wide range of
thoughts about whether it's worth it; out of curiosity I'm going to
continue to investigate and experiment.

Boring junk follows:

As to the perspective that persistent storage, generally, is a
"consumable", I would extend that view to many more components -
upgrades are the norm (computers become unsupported long before storage
fails) and clocks may be pushed, some think too far, to the point where
burnout is likely after the "support lifetime" of many a processor
(further compounded by the fact that the lifetime management techniques
may be proprietary). Many users find it worthwhile to overclock, but I
find it risky. I'm more interested in reducing the rate of consumption.
Signs above the printers where I used to work reminded us, every time we
went to pick up a printout, that reducing consumption saves both money
and reduces waste.

I completely respect the fact that applying the "consumable" label may
be like an epiphany for some but, while I may be the odd one out, it's a
very different sort of experience for me.

I do appreciate that a number of folks have mentioned that higher
quality components have longer lifetimes and I'll keep an eye out when I
get a replacement.

It doesn't suit everyone's style of communication, but, for better or
(and often) worse, it's my nature to consider a larger domain when
pondering a question - I admit I've failed to develop thegood habit of
being explicit about "adjacent" interests; I'll keep working on it.

Reducing the kind of activity that causes wear on SS storage interests
me for a number of reasons:

Raspberry Pi users often burnout SD cards and even the cheap ones cost
almost as much as some of the boards. As these systems may be embedded,
"zero maintenance" is a windmill that is may be tilted at.Other SBCs may
have storage on the SOC die or may not be designed to be replaced.
Phones and tablets don't seem to have easily replaced SS storage.

I also have a system which has a traditional HDD that I run as a server
but is used intermittently. I've explored wake on LAN/WAN and it doesn't
seem to support it, so I'm curious about getting the hard drive to stay
in a power saving state - a wider problem but I think there is some overlap.

Growing the circle a bit more, reducing access to higher levels of the
memory hierarchy is a general optimization technique: keeping data in
registers, the on-chip local memory,  minimizing cache misses to avoid
VRAM accesses, then bus accesses to system RAM, each more expensive in
terms of time and power consumption.  It's something I don't know much
about especially when it comes to disks (or CPUs for that matter), so
I'm curious.

I'm just a tinkererand risk/reward is probably based on a different
formula than a sysadmin: breaking things, not too badly, is good! It
creates a learning opportunity. Somebody brought up the mount options
atime, relatime and noatime. Reading up on this, I prefer noatime and
I've configured my systems to use it on all storage devices. From what
I've read, some things may break but probably not HW. As I learn what SW
depends on it and why, I'll remove it or, because most is open source,
modify it if I decide I really want to use it.I'm generally interested
in reducing SW footprint, so finding stuff to get rid of is a bit of a
background process.

I can refrain from asking tinkerer-y questions if BLU is an sysadmin's
group or they are otherwise not appropriate for this list.

Thanks,

Dan