[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Thu Dec 1 11:15:40 EST 2022

This is a space where "price" or "quality" make a difference.

A "good" SSD has a lot of extra sectors to map in when it detects a write
error. All done internally to the drive. Better drives do a lot of things
to reduce wear. Some do dedup. Some don't store blocks that are all zero
or blocks that are all ones.

Its kind of hard to adjust your usage, suffice to say, it is all based on
the amount of change. Individual SSD cells can handle from 3,000 to
100,000 writes depending on the technology. It is possible to pay twice as
much for a drive that will have 30 times more usable write longevity.

If your data is largely unchanging, it doesn't matter. If you have a
highly dynamic write environment, go for single level cell NAND flash,
that will last the longest. Find a good enterprise drive that has extra
capacity to remap as cells fail.