[Discuss] html issue

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 6 21:58:14 EDT 2022

discuss-request at driftwood.blu.org writes:
> From: dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us>
> Subject: [Discuss] html issue
>
> when i enter this string into the url bar, i arrive at the
> desired amazon web page.
>    file:///home/moylan/msg/htm/amz.htm
>
> when i embed this into an html document, clicking on AMZ
> gets me nowhere.   what have i misunderstood?

What you are expecting is the "natural" behavior, that when you click on
the link, the browser loads the specified URL.

My suspicion is that you're hitting a deliberate security barrier; the
browser doesn't know that you trust the page containing that <a>, and is
defending you from a possibly malicious web page directing the browser
to load a file that may contain information that the web page may not be
supposed to be touching.

Dale