[Discuss] Wireguard [Was Re: dovecot: "Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs)"?]

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Fri Dec 18 11:34:08 EST 2020

On 12/18/2020 10:29 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> That's one of many possible ways to use it.
>
> Other uses:
>
> - point-to-point VPN tunnel
> - hub-and-spoke VPN with routing
> - site-to-site VPN with routing
> - full-mesh VPN (requires external tools to keep all the config
>   manageable)
>
>> However, I have yet to get it working the way I want.  Anyone played
>> with it?  ( https://www.wireguard.com/ ;
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/wireguard-for-windows-0-3-1-is-the-release-youve-been-waiting-for/
>> )
>
> Extensively, but not on Windows. I use it personally and at work
> on Linux and MacOS.

Excellent!  Where I got stuck was the IP layer.  Suppose I want the
hub-and-spoke VPN with routing option from you list above, on the 'hub',
how do you configure the IP interfaces?  Can you bind it to an existing
"internal" interface?  Do you need separate interfaces for every peer?

Also very curious what you're using for "external tools", because right
away I saw that it might be manageable for a home network, but would be
a nightmare at scale.

Thanks,
Matt