[Discuss] Linux backups in 2019

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 12:36:49 EST 2019

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 11:47:36 -0500
Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> users). I would like to know what others might be using and what they
> think of it. I do want to keep the snapshot format where duplicate
> files are hard linked. Note that my destination is a mounted
> removable hard drive.

ZFS, snapshots, send/receive to make backups to external media.

ZFS snapshots are nigh-instantaneous. ZFS send/receive can transfer
entire data sets or just diffs. Fast recovery of individual files:
they're in /tank/${dataset}/.zfs/snapshot. Fast recovery of entire
dataset: roll back the dataset to the specified snapshot. Reasonably
fast disaster recovery: zfs send/receive from the backup to the
recovered system.

--
Rich Pieri