[Discuss] Why use Linux? (back to original question)

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:03:13 EST 2014

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> QEMU and KVM are standard in most main stream Linux distros. This blows
> every other system out of the water. In debian, it is merely "apt-get
> install ..." The networking with QEMU and support packages is better than
> most proprietary systems on Windows and Mac.

sudo port install qemu

This works on the *BSDs and on OS X after installing MacPorts. Call me
blind but I don't see how "sudo apt-get install qemu" blows "sudo port
install qemu" out of the water. If anything, the apt-get command
requires three more key strokes.

I have a server running Debian. I originally tried KVM with Scientific
Linux guests. The guest network interfaces didn't work at all. The guest
kernels couldn't see their interfaces.

I tried VirtualBox. Network load crashed a guest which in turn crashed
the host kernel. For this reason I likely won't use VirtualBox ever again.

VMware Workstation? Like a rock.

--
Rich P.