Lost email?

Derek Atkins derek-CrUh67yIh4IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 09:10:40 EDT 2011

I was working on upgrading a mail server last night. To stop email delivery I just turned off postfix's smtpd entry.  I think this was a mistake, I'm not seeing any email retires from 6-12pm.  Did I make a booboo? If so it only affected me and my wife, and I would definitely have learned from my mistake...

In trying to not lose email I think I lost email...

For future reference it looks like you can set postfix to just return a 4xx code on all mail with a transport map entry in main.cf.  but somehow I thought smtp would retry on connection refused.

-derek