Password vault programs for Linux, Windows, Smartphones

David Rosenstrauch darose-prQxUZoa2zOsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 14:12:16 EST 2010

On 03/10/2010 09:59 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> As I have migrated all my information over to my new Android I've
> decided to get paranoid. In the past, I had kept some information on
> Palm then Blackberry Memo Pad. On the Palm, you could password protect
> some, but not on either Blackberry or Windows. I did try to use KeepPass
> on the Blackberry, but it caused the Blacklberry Desktop manager on
> Windows to crash. My requirements are:
> 1. Cross platform Android, Windows, and Linux.
> 2. Be able to syncronize the data bases. Storing the data base on the
> microSD would work since it is available when plugging in the Android.
> 3. In creating an entry I need to be able to cut and paste (If I recall
> I was not able to do this with either of the password managers I tried
> on Blackberry.
>
> There are a number of password managers for Android, but the only 3 that
> I know of are fully cross platform. I'm just looking for suggestions at
> this point.
> Keeppass                        Open Source
> KeeppassX                      Open Source - Originally based on Keeppass
> Keeper data vault          Closed Source - Free for Android (and other
> Smartphones) $$ for Linux and Windows
>

> A couple of other comments on the Motorola Backflip. When you connect it
> to either Windows of Linux, it asks you whether or not to share the
> microSD or whether you are just charging the device. So far, it does
> everything I expect it to do and more.

PasswordMaker isn't a password vault, but rather a password generator.
It generates a unique password for every site, based on a master
password.  I've been using it for quite a while now, and like it a lot.

It can run either as a plugin to Firefox, or as a Javascript-embedded
HTML page.  So in theory, if your smartphone can handle JavaScript/HTML,
it sounds like PasswordMaker might satisfy your requirements.

HTH,

DR