Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

Mick T michael.timony-H+0wwilmMs3R7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 29 00:51:42 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 23:26 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 22:29:42 Mick T wrote:
> > What really annoys me is the
> > removal of Xen from Ubuntu, which is tempting me to go with an all
> > Debian solution, instead of Debain on my Desktop, and Ubuntu on my
> > laptop. These days I don't have the time to build and debug kernels, so
> > using a distro that includes Xen enabled kernels is a big time savings
> > for me.
>
> I thought openSUSE was the only distro that has continued to forward-port
> the misery that is Xen dom0 to newer upstream kernels. Does Debian still
> have Xen dom0 support by virtue of shipping an ancient kernel, or are
> the carrying the patches from openSUSE on a relatively recent kernel too?

It looks like in their latest stable release they do, or at least I see
Xen kernels in my package tree, and the Debian wiki page on Xen still
appears to be active:
http://wiki.debian.org/Xen

> Everyone else is basically happy to see Xen wither and die. KVM ftw.

Why?

At the moment it doesn't seem as if KVM has the tooling and ease of
management in place to manage virtual guests. KVM might be a decent
virtualization tech, but I haven't seen the tooling yet that let's me
migrate a virtual guest from one server to another, which is important
in server environments.  And for environments currently using Xen the
migration path to KVM mightn't be that easy, for example Xen guests
wont' necessarily run on KVM without changes or new kernels. (Correct me
if I'm wrong, on any of this.)

If I'm looking for an Open Source low cost virtualization and Xen is on
it's way out, and KVM isn't quite here yet, what is one supposed to use?

Cheers
Mick