LVM and NFS mounts

David Rosenstrauch darose-prQxUZoa2zOsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 15 11:13:15 EDT 2009

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 04/15/2009 08:01 AM, Stephen Goldman wrote:
>> Hello Blu,
>>     Looking for some discussion points on whether exporting LVM
>> volumes as NFS mount points is recommended or not .
>> I am interested in hearing experiences of others. OS is RHEL 5.3
>>
> Our whole system at work is LVM and NFS (using automount). I don't think
> we could operate without using LVM. When we upgraded to RHEL 5.2, we
> reorganized to set up the system physical drive as a single Physical
> volume, and the remainder of the drives as another physical volume with
> a number of logical volumes. FWIW, I think that LVM provides a
> tremendous amount of flexibility with little risk.

Getting off the topic of LVM+NFS a bit here, but I've heard that a setup
like that (i.e., a logical volume that spans multiple physical drives)
can actually get you into trouble.  I can't recall the exact specifics,
but the gist was that if one of the physical drives dies or gets
corrupted, LVM can get pretty hosed trying to serve up the data on the
LV.  Old wives' tale?

DR