RedHat Enterprise Linux

nmeyers at javalinux.net nmeyers at javalinux.net
Tue Nov 11 20:25:30 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:17:40PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> TWIMC,
>
> The "Industrial" version of RedHat, called "Enterprise Linux", is being
> distributed on a subscription basis for prices starting at $179/year.
>
> I don't approve of RedHat putting Linux into a proprietary model, but
> the company has honored the GPL, and has put the source code on its FTP
> server.

What's so proprietary about selling to customers who are willing to pay
for a product that someone is standing behind and supporting?

Commercial customers have better things to do than run to users groups
when they have problems. Besides... they run the risk of running into
someone who doesn't, er... approve of them :-(.

Nathan