question about gcc

Scott Lanning slanning at buphy.bu.edu
Sun Oct 24 18:43:31 EDT 1999

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Jerry Clabaugh wrote:
>When I compile something with the -v option, a list of the default
>include directories is shown, and somehow /usr/local/include got
>moved ahead of /usr/include.   How is this set/how can it be fixed?

When I compile (on Irix) with -v, it also includes /usr/local/include
first; I don't know if that's standard behavior.

$ info gcc "Invoking GCC" "Preprocessor Options"
I found one way to fix it is with -isystem:

$ gcc -o blah clk.c -v -isystem /usr/include
[snip]
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/include
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/local/mips-sgi-irix6.2/include
 /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/egcs-2.91.66/include
 /usr/include
End of search list.
[snip]

Also, using -nostdinc and -I- you can include only specified
headers. Maybe you need to recompile gcc to permanently
switch the order.

$ info gcc Installation
Under that there is a "Header Dirs" subnode, which
explains GCC_INCLUDE_DIR and LOCAL_INCLUDE_DIR variables.

-