LILO crash

Derek Martin dmartin at LanCity.COM
Tue Oct 19 12:09:51 EDT 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Pijus Virketis wrote:

> Well, LILO did it again. Every time I boot I get <LI> and a cursor, and
> that's it: no Win and no Linux. All utilities for reviving my MBR I've
> found on the Net seem to involve loosing all my data ... Can anyone
> suggest some way of getting out of this fix ? Are there any good
> free utils, considering that I still want Windows to be my primary
> system for now ? Thanks,
>
> Pijus

if you are using a RedHat system, and you know which partition Linux is
installed on, boot from the install media, type

  rescue root=/dev/hda?

at the prompt, and then as root re-run lilo.  then reboot.  All should be
well.

If you are not on a RedHat system, please specify what dist you are
using... though the process should be more or less the same for all of
them:

  1. boot from floppy
  2. specify your root partition
  3. run lilo

If it ever worked, it should work again.  Did you re-compile your kernel?
you always need to run lilo after installing a new kernel...