What is the RPM to install gcc???

Wass jeffwass at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 13 17:19:41 EDT 1999

Hello Everyone,

	I've recently picked up a cheap 486, and decided to install RedHat
6.0 on it.  The problem is it has a 400 MB hard disk, so I have to be
(somewhat) space conscious.  It also has 16 megs ram, so i must be memory
conscious too.
	Install went fine, but GNOME hung the machine.  It was constantly
writing to/from the swap space (i set it to 32MB, is this okay), and I
think there is too much stuff in the kernel, and too many daemons running.
It wouldn't acknowledge anything else I typed, including CTRL-ALT-BKSP
and CTRL-ALT-F2, so I had no option but to hit the power button!!!
	I wanted to recompile the kernel, but I was shocked when neither
make, nor gcc, nor even the kernel source was installed on the system!
I didn't now which of these options during the Redhat install was needed.
Since I was low on space, and it took a few tries to trim the install, I
had to skip stuff, like C/C++ development, and kernel development.  I don't
know if these options are what installs gcc or the kernel source.
	Anyhow, after looking through the RPM directory, I was able to
install make, and also install the kernel source.  However, I still don't
have gcc running.  Where is this RPM?  what is it called?  i skimmed over
the 600-odd RPMS, and I didn't see something that would be related to
gcc (Well, there was EGCS, but I want gcc).
	Could someone please help me out?  Thanks.

	- wass

ps - if Redhat reps read this list, a good idea is to list how much disk
space the various install options use, I had no idea when I was installing
the packages.
-