SuSE distribution

Anthony J. Gabrielson agabriel at coe.neu.edu
Wed Oct 13 09:08:24 EDT 1999

Hello

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> Just a couple of questions, to see if I'm missing anything:
>
> 1.  My impression is that the SuSE distribution doesn't probe for hardware as
> much as RedHat does, specifically, for Ethernet and graphics cards.  Am I
> right?
You are expected to know what hardware you have in the system.
SPecifically scanners, ethernet, and video.  I personally always had
problems when redhat set up my video, however under sax there is a way for
it to probe, I just think its better if you tell what you have.  In the
end their are far less problems, thats just my opinion anyway.

> 2.  The system configuration tools in Yast seem primitive and incomplete, again
> compared to RedHat.  Have I missed some tool, or do I get a copy of Linuxconf,
> and
> start configuring?
Yast can pretty much configure anything.  What are you trying to configure
that it won't let you.  I have configured 99% of my system running SuSE
6.1 w\ yast.  The other 1% was tweaking my kernel.

Which areas was it lacking?
Anthony

-