Help building a new kernel...

Christoph linuxguy at ici.net
Fri Oct 8 07:58:25 EDT 1999

I'm trying to build a new kernel for my system and not having much luck.

System: Intel DK440LX MB with single PII 266 (kernel I'm building includes SMP)
    OS: RedHat 6.0

I don't understand a few key points and can't seem to find adequate
documentation.  Here are my questions...

	1) How do I build a kernel with a new version identifier, such that
	   when it is working, uname -r will report the new version?
	   And more importantly, it'll find it's modules in
	   /lib/modules/[new-version]

	   * Note : I just looked at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and believe the
	   module path it actually set in there with depmod

	2) What is the function of /boot/initrd-xxxxxxxxx?
	   There exists such a file for the supplied and installed kernel,
	   but not for my newly built kernel.  Where does it come from?